From:
Nina Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nina Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 05:51:48 -0700

hi celiac folks,
original question was about adding rice bran to my diet for fiber and as an aid
to constipation since being GF (suggested by my GI doc).
thank you ALL for your rapid and very helpful responses.
i've organized the summary into two sections; rice bran and "general"
--------------->

RICE BRAN suggestions: (ENER-G most popular brand)
1. sprinkle on cereal, salads, yogurt, soup. use in recipes: muffins, waffles,
meatballs, use in place of breadcrumbs.
2. refrigerate it or freeze it to store. it is high in oil and will go rancid
quickly if not preserved.
3. supposed to lower blood pressure
4. mix with ground flax seed for a nuttier taste
5. rice bran is problematic for many because of "phytates", which are hard to
digest. suggestion to soak it overnight in buttermilk or water+1TBS vinegar.

CONSTIPATION suggestions:
1. metamucil (GF)- builds bulk and eases strain (psyllium)
2. magnesium or cal/mag. mix
3. vitamin C at 1000-2000mg per day (1-2grams).
4. dehydration and excess (refined) sugar consumption could be culprit. watch
out for corn syrup...and drink extra water.
5. beans, any variety (one post suggestion chick peas/garbanzo beans as an old
italian recipe for constipation)
6. increase fresh fruits and veggies. eat daily.
7. flax seed whole or meal. refrigerate. use daily.

health and cheers to all,
nina in ma