From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 08:08:11 -0400

Thanks to everyone who responded to my recent question about neuro
symptoms in the absence of eating gluten.  Well, it turns out that I
very well may have been eating gluten, after all:

I have been taking Kyolic Formula 100 Hi-Po capsules.  This was
prescribed for me by my doctor.  The ingredients listed:  "Aged garlic
extract powder, whey and magnesium stearate (vegetable source). "  I
also asked the proprietor of the store where I purchased this product if
it was GF.  He assured me it was.  After getting a tip-off from someone
on the listserv that it may NOT be GF, I called the company.  Guess
what?  The company representative said that they do NOT recommend that
celiacs take this product, because they CANNOT GUARANTEE  that there is
no gluten in the excipients!  They did recommend a product called
Kyo-Green, which they said is also recommended by the Celiac Sprue
Association.  Kyo-Green has been laboratory tested and is guaranteed GF.

I have been off Kyolic Hi-Po Formula 100 capsules now for about a week
and the neuro symptoms are improving.

Here's a condensed summary of responses:

  a.. Be careful of what you take, even if it is doctor-prescribed,
check with the company. (I'll say!)

  b.. Multiple chemical sensitivities can give neuro symptoms in the
absence of gluten

  c.. Iron deficiency can result in neuro symptoms; check where you are
with your iron stores

  d.. Healing crisis (rebalancing of flora) might give such symptoms
  e.. One person got "electrical shocks," balance problems and
exacerbation of restless legs  from St. John's Wort and prescription
antidepressants

  f.. Canned tuna (mercury) may produce neuro effects (obstetrician
limits patients to one can/week during pregnancy)

  g.. Other things/foods mimic gluten reactions but do not actually
damage villi Thanks again

Latimer