From:
Debra Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debra Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:22:26 -0500

(2) THERAPY OPTIONS

(a) Depending on the age of your child, First Steps is a federal program
that evaluates delays and provides therapy - it is NOT based on income.
This typically covers until pre-kindergarten age when the school corporation
then becomes responsible for taking over the therapy and cost.
I believe both of these are national programs, especially with the "No Child
Left Behind" act.  You might want to check into this as it could save you a
lot of money and help you avoid the aggravation of dealing with insurance.

(b) If they are over 2 ˝, you should seek an evaluation from the public
school system’s Special Education Department.  A significant speech delay or
poor speech and language would make them eligible for speech therapy.  They
should also receive a complete evaluation to make sure that there are no
other problems.  Children over 2 ˝  are eligible for evaluations upon a
parent’s written request.  If difficulties are found, services are to start
by [age] 3.  Services go on as long as needed.  Depending on the findings,
the school may refer you for further evaluations which they may pay for,
like a neuropsychological evaluation.  Children with speech problems should
also have a hearing evaluation.
If they are under 3 then they may be able to get services from the
department of public health's early intervention programs.  Early
intervention services begin at birth if needed.  For that you may need to
get referred by a pediatrician.
Laws keep changing. There are federal laws which mandate services.  Check
Federal and your States laws on the Internet for current laws and
regulations.  You may also want to have a meeting with the Special Education
Director of the school system your children may attend.
Insurance Companies are not under the same mandates as Department of
Education and the Department of Public Health and thus may or may not
provide services.

(c) Oxalates are a very powerful acid which occurs in a lot of foods and
which normally don't bother people. Normally, people do not absorb too much
of the oxalates.  However, fat malabsorption is associated with the
excessive absorption of oxalates.  Oxalates can also be directly irritating
in the GI tract.  Celiacs who are not completely healed have some degree of
fat malabsorption--this appears to be the last thing to clear up--and
consequently absorb too much dietary oxalate. To make things worse for
celiacs, the gluten free flours tend to be high in oxalates.  Amaranth, for
example, is exceedingly high.  The association between fat malabsorption and
the excessive absorption of oxalate is so well-established and accepted by
gastroenterologists and researchers that I am not going to provide