From:
Mandi Middleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mandi Middleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 00:20:15 -0700

I wanted to share a wonderful experience we had over Easter Break in Kauai.
We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Resort and Spa on the south side of the
island, near Poipu.  I would highly recommend this hotel!!!!  I have 2
celiac children, ages 2 and 5, and this was our first gluten free trip.  I
called the hotel prior to our arrival and spoke with Darrene, the
administrative assistant in the Culinary Department and with the executive
chef, Manfred.  They were extremely helpful, faxing copies of menus, as well
as assuring me I could ship boxes of food ahead of time and they would
happily store it.  I shipped 3 boxes of food and Darrene called me to let me
know they had arrived safely.

After we arrived, I was able to meet with the executive sous chef.  His name
is Rafael and he was phenomenal!!!  We met for over an hour, discussing what
was safe for my children, possible menu suggestions and appropriate and safe
kitchen precautions.  He checked on brands and ingredients of items I knew
the kids would enjoy.  He happily accepted the pancake mix and pasta I had
brought.  All that he asked of me was to let him know in the morning where
we were having dinner (on the property) and what the kids would like to eat.
He told me he would alert all the sous chefs and kitchen staff that we were
staying there and what appropriate precautions needed to be taken.  He did
everything he said he would and then some.  On his days off, Chef Gordon
took care of us with the same level of care as Rafael.  Both chefs would
come out to our table to discuss and/or deliver the kids' food.

For breakfast, I would call down to the kitchen and let them know what the
kids wanted an hour or so before we would go to eat.  Lunch at the pool was
the most difficult meal because it was a snack shack type set up rather than
a restaurant.  The first time we ate there, they paged the chef to come down
to the pool and ensure my children's food was prepared properly.  The
attention to detail was phenomenal!!

Chef Rafael prepared a lavish Easter brunch spread for the kids and Chef
Joe, the banquet manager, prepared fabulous plates for them at the luau.
We were able to have wonderful meals and participate in all the fun eating
activities.  We even met a hostess at one of the restaurants whose husband
is a celiac!!

I think I was most impressed by the fact everyone involved in food service
at the hotel knew we were there and our particular needs.  My 2 year old
came down with the flu and I ordered room service (not gluten free) for
myself, since I couldn't leave the room.  They promptly asked me who the
meal was for because if it was for the children, they were under strict
orders to page the chef right away to make sure everything went okay.

For once, food was actually not the biggest thing on my mind.  It was truly
a vacation and I was genuinely touched and amazed at the care and
understanding everyone showed our family.  I fully expected to have an
accidental gluten ingestion or two, but we did not have any problems.  It
was a huge morale booster for my 5 year old (and me)!

Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to eat off of the property because
of my youngest child's illness.  If you are looking for a celiac friendly
Hawaiian destination, this is definitely it!!