From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 1995 11:37:09 -0500

[log in to unmask] wrote:
:
<snip>
: Laura Johnson-Kelly said, "Using a sourdough starter really cuts down on
: the costs of baking gluten-free breads, because yeast is so expensive."
:
<snip>
: I'd like to point out an excellent source for very fresh, gluten-free and
: pretty darned inexpensive yeast: King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalog. (Call
: 1-800-827-6836 in the U.S. or 1-802-649-3717 M-F 8:30am-5pm Easter Time to
: get a catalog.)
:
<snip>
: #1459 1 lb. Active Dry Yeast...$4.50.

    I like the King Arthur Flour people very much, but I would
like to mention that wholesalers to the restaurant/bakery trade
offer Red Star Yeast (also my favorite) for a price competitive
with or usually better than King Arthur's.  If you have a local
wholesaler to which you have access, you can then save on the
shipping costs.

    Locally in Lafayette, Indiana, USA, Gordon Food Service and
Sam's Wholesale Club sell to private individuals, although Sam's
does require you to purchase a membership to be allowed to buy
there.  Before these opened in Lafayette, I talked the owner of
a local, small, wonderful bakery into selling me Red Star Yeast
in bulk as his wholesaler wouldn't deal with private individuals.

    By the way, as regarding brown rice flour, I like King Arthur
Flour's the best.  It's the finest I've found (I've never found
oriental brown rice flour, and that would probably be *too*
powdery), and has always been very fresh.

                Best regards,

                Kirsten Klinghammer