Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 05:02:31 -0800

I was looking through the archives the other day (because I couldn't remember what isomalt was), and it looked like the consensus was that it was GF, but there was some confusion. So, I decided to get it straight from the horses mouth--isomalt is a patented product made by only one company called Palatinit. Below is there response and my original email. Conclusion: isomalt is gluten-free.
  Angela Taylor
  ________________

  Dear Angela Taylor

ISOMALT is produced from saccharose. Saccharose does not contain gluten
and as a consequence is not a source of gluten. Therefore we herewith
confirm that ISOMALT does not contain gluten.  Thank you for your
interest in Isomalt.  Please feel free to contact us with any questions
you might have.

Regards

Renee Tallman
Executive Assistant
Palatinit of America, Inc
101 Gibraltar Drive, Ste 2B Morris Plains, NJ 07950
973.539.6644, ext 314
973.326.9508 Fax
__________________

  I have celiac disease and must avoid gluten, which can be in all
derivatives of wheat, rye, and barley. Within my support group there
have been several questions about what isomalt is exactly and whether
or not it is gluten-free (most people believe that it IS gluten-free). I
think the biggest confusion comes from the "malt" in the name, since
malt is derived from barley. I understand that isomalt is made from
sugar, but in the processing, does it ever come in contact (or could be
contaminated by) anything containing gluten such as alcohol? Thank you
for your time and consideration and I eagerly await your answer.
  Angela Taylor