From:
Helen Franklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:32:23 -0700

Here's some more info re: fabric I have since learned.  A fellow listmate
put me on the track of formaldehyde being a potential problem.  She says she
washes her clothes 3 times before she can wear them.

Sure enough, in searching the web, I came across this entry:

The following is taken from a document published by the SUPPORT NETWORK
FOR THE FORMALDEHYDE AND SOLVENT AFFECTED Co-ordinator:   Phillippa
Martin,  48 Martins Rd,  Manakau,  RD 31,  Levin,=

New Zealand

FORMALDEHYDE  EFFECTS Skin reactions: ...chemical can be both irritating
and allergy-causing...(EPA).  A slight sensation of tiny insects
crawling over the eyes, nose and pharynx  (formication) is felt at 2-3
ppm.  (Zurlo N, via OSH, NZ.)  Contact with the vapour or solution
causes skin to become white, rough, hard and anaesthetic due to
superficial coagulation necrosis. With long exposure, dermatitis and
hypersensitivity frequently result.  Prolonged exposure may also cause
cracking of skin and ulceration, especially around the fingernails.

Elsewhere it was mentioned that formaldehyde is used particularly in the
processing of permanent press material. And that it can cause all sorts of
other trouble, including the wheezing, and can be the start of becoming
sensitive to other allergens.

Another person with DH said he does not have any skin problems handling
fabric.

Somebody else mentioned that the dyes contain alkaline bases which may cause
problems.

American Environmental Health Foundation  www.aehf.com  looks like a great
source for chemical-free items to help us live better.    Helen in Idaho