From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:57:47 EDT

We were there for 3 nights and I thought I would pass along restaurant info.
Of course we went to Acme Oyster - they fry everything in corn flour so
that's safe.  The best meal was at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse - we had 3
waiters and they were very helpful - I had a filet - sweet potato with
praline sauce (I would opt for another potato next time - it's their best
seller but didn't go well with steak) and a wonderful salad with balsamic
vinaigrette.  I skipped dessert - too full.  This was on September 11 and the
whole restaurant was full of firefighters, police officers and detectives.
They were charging them something like $5 for lunch that day.  Never felt so
safe in my life!  They were all dressed up in uniforms and looked so nice.

The only "off" experience was at the Red Fish Grill - another Brennan
restaurant.  To begin with, it was the noisiest restaurant I've ever been in
- waitress acted like I was crazy when asking about products containing
"wheat" in a seafood salad.  I heard her telling head waiter who came over to
talk to me.  He too had never heard of such a thing.  I ended up with a
seafood salad with balsamic vinaigrette - it was ok but very little seafood
in it.

I also went to Central Grocery on Decatur where they sell those wonderful
muffaletta sandwiches.  I talked to them about the ingredients in their
fantastic olive salad and the only questionable ingredient was vinegar which
was distilled so I bought a quart and brought it home.   I've been eating my
version of the muffaletta with no problems.  I went to Central Market and
bought their best hard salami and cheeses.

All the restaurants we ate at are in the Quarter.  Last year we ate at NOLA
(one of Emeril's and they were very accommodating to my diet and I had a
great lunch).  I find New Orleans one of the easiest restaurants to eat in.

I did call the chef at Irene's a restaurant that was recommended by someone
on this list.  He said just about everything on their menu contained flour -
he said they even dust all their fish with it and he recommended I not eat
there because of contamination.  At least he was honest.

There's also a Haagen Daaz in the quarter where we always get a great
dessert.