From:
Doris Pavlichek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doris Pavlichek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 08:35:23 -0400

An earlier post said that celiacs should not eat soy products because they
can damage the thyroid gland. Here is a link to a Q&A on the Mayo Clinic web
site, arguably more reputable than About.com, in which it is stated that NO
research has shown that soy causes thyroid dysfunction.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=3B8150D7-69CD-4FD7-9C06C34B5B7
A0FFD

Earlier reported studies showed problems with soy formula and infants who
had a history of hypothyroidism, but that was likely due to interference
between soy and absorption of the thyroid replacement hormone levothyroxine.
Personally, I have hypothyroidism, multinodular goiter, and am on Synthroid
(levothyroxine). I am also a vegetarian and consume soy as part of my
protein intake. I do not, however, consume "large quantities" of it, which
the Mayo response says could interfere with my metabolism of the hormone
replacement. Everything in moderation. Soy in itself is not innately
harmful. Large quantities could interfere with medication uptake. It is no
different than telling someone on Coumadin not to eat grapefruit or large
amounts of cabbage. Grapefruit and cabbage aren't harmful, but they can
interfere with the drug uptake.

Respectfully,

D Pavlichek