From:
"K. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
K. Johnson
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:57:37 -0700

Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

The overwhelming majority of responses (over 97%) felt that our first responsibility was to keep ourselves, and our children, healthy.  These responders recommend taking our own GF food everywhere.  Several people also send dishes and cutlery along with their children to play dates.   A few people remarked at how the situation is intensified around those who don't eat gluten, but are less strict about it for whatever reason.  One person commented on a "GF backlash".

Many describe feeling much more comfortable eating at restaurants than others' homes as they can simply refuse to eat anything suspicious, without any emotional baggage involved.  Several people only eat at GFRAP restaurants.

One woman described the lengths she goes to when cooking for her celiac mother in her non-GF kitchen:

 I start preparing several days in advance. First, I stop any food prep
that includes gluten. I wait two days for all of the flour to settle from
the air, and then everything that might come in contact with the food --
or come in contact with something that might come in contact with my the
food -- gets run through the dishwasher. For a major feast where I will
be using most of my kitchen supplies, I wash everything. If I am just
preparing one things for her, I walk myself through the recipe, getting
out everything I need. All that goes into the dishwasher before using. I
also have a couple of flexible cutting boards, plastic utensils, and
silicone scrapers that I keep in another room, that are brought out only
for GF cooking. The cutting boards go on my counters, for extra protection.

Whew!

There was a responder that valued a smooth business lunch experience and human connection surrounding food over a sterile diet.

Several people eat before they go out and make small excuses that don't draw attention to Celiac.  Other's do this and scrape their suspect food on to their partner's plate.

Thanks so much for the responses!  This feedback has been very valuable!

Warmly, Keri

*******
*******