From:
Jodie/Mark Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 00:05:57 -0700

Hi All ~ thanks for the info. Here are some of the responses I received.

We use TicTac's with no problem.  Most cheese is safe EXCEPT blue,
Roqueford(sp), etc as they are from a mold grown on bread and can be
contaminated-there is one gf brand of blue for celiacs-made special by a
small company-its been mentioned on the list before, if you need it try
searching the archives, we just omit from our celiacs serving when the rest
of our family is having it.  Also,  some of the pre-grated mixtures of
cheese are coated with a contaminant, for example most of the pre-grated
Sargento cheeses are fine, except the "Mexico" blend-I called them to get
the information and they sent me several $1.00 of coupons, and were very
helpful in sorting thru their different products.

I have read that some cheeses are made using wheat flour for the mold,
these are Bleu, Gorgonzola. Ricotta and Roquefort use vinegar which can
be grain based, check the manufacturer.

    I spoke with Sargento cheese last week and theirs are GF. Some
cottage cheeses contain Modified Food Starch, read labels.

Correct!!  No processed cheese, though, such as chez whiz and some slices.

wrong and don't ever assume, some real cheeses have bread added but not
on the label

I've heard we must stay away from blue cheese because the mold culture
contains flour.  Plus camanbair (sp?) is covered in flour so we should
obviously avoid that one.

I've been avoiding Tic-Tics because the label lists malt. I do admit that I
have not called the company to find the source-- I've just avoided out of
the likelihood of maltodextrin coming from a gluten source.

Cheese should ALWAYS be safe so long as it's real, pure cheese :)

GF Living did an article on cheese earlier this year.  As usually it was
well researched and informative.  You may want to contact them for a reprint.

I have read on the list that TicTacs are GF but personally I never rely on
the list.  I always check with the manufacturer.  Only they know what they
use and do not use in making a product.

GF Living wrote a definitive article on cheese a few issues back. You
can probably buy a back issue, especially if you subscribe. (email is
[log in to unmask]). There are a few you need to watch out for.

I searched a while ago to get an answer from Ferrero re. tic tacs.  They are
the "makers".  The starch they use is not gluten derived, but their product
contains dextrin which "could be" from a wheat source, they had no idea
where it was derived.  So, I guess, use your own judgement.