Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:25:05 -0400

My son did have a violent gluten reaction to the new BK fries, so I wonder if
this is another individual sensitivity issue.

Our local McD franchise will make him a special batch in a dedicated
fries-only fryer, and these seem to be ok.  Although the hashbrowns are
supposedly gf, I think it may be their corn content that he has reacted to
when his fries are cooked in the same oil.

We can whip up a batch of homemade fries in ten minutes.  Many people suppose
this is difficult but it just takes the right tools.  The following are some
hints:

>From a kitchen supply place like Lechters, buy a really good peeler with a
chunky black rubber handle (about $6), and a "Veg-o-matic" (I'm not kidding)
for about $15.

Plug in the deep fryer, peel the potatoes, wham them in the vegomatic, dry
the raw fries with a kitchen towel, fry them in the hot oil for 7-8 minutes,
et voila.  Cover the deep fryer when cool - "fry-only" oil may be re-used
several times.  I'm a very lazy cook & I do this 4-5 times a week with no
fuss.  The vegomatic just needs to be rinsed off & air-dried.

This is very economical, too.  Three or four family trips to McD would cost
more than a top-notch deep fryer.

Karyn