From:
scott adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 20:19:02 -0800

As I understand it, all beers use barley as a source of enzymes to convert
the starches to sugars during the brewing process. I have heard rumors
about a few African beers that use other grains, but do not believe that
any of them are available in the U.S.. Many breweries will tell you that
their beer is gluten-free, but they are mistaken. Although gluten is broken
down during the brewing process, the harmful peptides are still present.
Here is an earlier post by Don Kasadra on the subject: