From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:38:49 -0400

Somewhere I stumbled on Be Natural Energy Bars, and seeing them advertised
as gluten-free I paid attention and checked out the ingredients. The site
selling them in North American is at:

  http://www.benaturalbars.com/

One ingredient is brown rice syrup. As readers that have been on this list
for a while know, this ingredient can include barley enzymes to break down
the rice starch to a syrup, and sometimes other GF catalysts are used. So I
wrote to the company that distributes them. We had some correspondence, and
she wrote off to Australia, where they are made, to find out more. Well
time has passed and word is back from Australia. It is not GF by US and
Canada standards. In her e-mail to me she is asking questions. Since I
believe in zero gluten, I don't pay attention to just what levels rice
syrup has when barley is used, or what levels are considered okay in the
countries that allow small amounts of gluten. So I am at a loss in
answering her questions. So I am asking for help. Here is her e-mail to me: