From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:31:10 -0400

Here is my typed version of the hard copy letter I received from Wendy's

The first part of the letter says nothing about gluten, so I've omitted
it.  It was a standard form letter about the nutritional components of
their food.

Menu items that DO contain gluten
biscuits (where available)
bread for toast (where available)
breakfast potatoes (where available)
breadsticks
breaded chicken breast fillet
buns
cheddar chips (on super bars)
chicken nuggets
chocolate chip cookie
chow mein noodles (on super bars)
cinnamon roll
crackers/saltines
croutons
cod fish fillet
country fried steak
fettucini
flour tortillas
french dressings (all types)
italian caesar dressing
pasta salads (all types)
pita bread
sausage gravy (where available)

Products containing either white or distilled vinegar (fermented
products)
blue cheese dressing
french dressing
fat free french
hidden valley ranch
ketchup
red. cal./red. fat italian (reduced maybe?)
1000 island dressing
red. cal.honey mustard
mayonnaise
mustard
nugget sauces
pickles
prepared salads (potato, chicken, seafood)

Good alternative choices (do not contain gluten)
hamburger patty (without bun), chili, all Hot Stuffed Potatoes, French
fries*, Salad bar (where available), taco salad, side salad, deluxe
garden salad and grilled chicken salad (both without breadsticks),
frosty dairy dessert, grilled chicken fillet (without bun).

*due to the daily rotation of oil in our fryers, there is a chance that
french fries could be cooked in oild previously used to cook breaded
chicken nuggets or fish.

Other gluten-related information
cheese sauce-the hydrolyzed vegetable protein in the cheese sauce is
derived from corn and soybean
chili-the natrual flavoring in the chili beans is soluble spices
including: white pepper, clove, allspice and cinnamon
modified food starch-all starch listed as modified food starch is
derived from corn
vinegar-all vinegar listed as "distilled vinegar" is the product of a
microbial fermentation of dilute ethyl alcohol
taco meat-the textured vegetable protein in the taco meat is derived
from soybeans
frosty-natural and artificial flavoring inthe frosty is natural and
artificial vanilla, none of whihc contain gluten or originates from
grain
grilled chicken-does not contain any flour or gluten-based ingredients.
Flavorings and colorings (caramel) are all corn based. The maltodextrin
is derived from corn.
french fries-due to the daily rotation of oil in our fryers, there is a
chance that the fries could be cooked in oil previously used to cook
breaded chicken nuggets or fish.
american cheese (sliced)-artifical color is from annatto and not
gluten-based
lemonade-concentrate does not contain maltodextrin.
chocolate pudding-no gluten in the artificial flavoring or coloring