From:
Lisa Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:56:16 -0600

As I expected, I rankled a few people with my post about wheat starch, but
that's OK. If we all agreed all the time, life would be boring and mediocre,
wouldn't it?

Allow me to clarify a couple of things:

1)      A few people jumped down my throat because they thought I was being
callous. At the end of my post, I noted that we each have to make our own
decisions about what to eat. If something makes you feel bad, then by all
means, don't eat it! I personally have to avoid Quaker Instant Grits, for
example, because they caused problems for me. Now, grits are from corn,
which is GF. But since QO won't guarantee the GF status of their products, I
stay away. I eat McCann's Irish Oats and Rice & Shine instead. We use a GF
bread mix containing GF wheat starch from Ireland and don't have a problem
(proven by biopsy and blood work). Moreover, I travel to Europe often and
never have a problem. If you do have a problem, then don't eat it.

2)      The support group I was referring to is an American group, which
shall remain nameless, that purports to speak authoritatively for American
celiacs. This listserv is neither exclusively American (members are from
around the world), nor does it speak authoritatively. It is just a
collection of folks with a common challenge exchanging emails. Some people
thought I was calling them paranoid. Seeking to maintain strict GF adherence
is not paranoid, but there is some unrealistic phobia out there.

3)      The 20 ppm figure is the amount of traceable gluten allowed by the
Codex Alimentarius for safe consumption in naturally gluten-free items (I
suppose this could come from cross-contamination). The wheat starch may
contain up to 200 ppm, and the product is still considered safe to be added
to baked goods.

Thanks to Scott Adams at www.celiac.com <http://www.celiac.com/>  for
dealing with this issue! See the articles at
http://preview.tinyurl.com/25gzgz.

I personally am eager to try the items from Norway, and a few others I heard
from are, too. If you think they'll make you sick, then please don't dare.

Best wishes for great health,

Lisa M. Brown

You're either going to pay to stay well, or you're going to pay when you get
sick. Staying well is better and cheaper!

Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through
these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. --Goethe