From:
Susan Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:50:30 -0700

We enjoyed g-f blueberry pancakes (with blueberry compote and whipped
cream) at the Almaden Road, San Jose location on Sunday.   It felt great
eating out with my family on a Sunday morning!  I also talked with the owner
about other breakfast items celiacs could order.

She said that they could also cook eggs on a clean grill; they could
take the plain sausage (before they add their seasonings which
contain flour) straight from the package and cook it on a clean grill
with some salt and pepper; and could also cook plain potatoes (before
they add their seasonings which contain flour) on a clean grill with
salt and pepper. Since they make their own syrup in-house, she has
called and left a message with the manufacturer of the flavoring they
use for their syrup and will let me know if it contains any gluten.
If nothing else, if you order plain g-f pancakes, you can always
bring your own syrup. If you like whipped cream on pancakes, be sure
to ask for it because it usually does not come on their pancakes.

The owner/manager of both the San Jose locations of The Original
Pancake House, Diana Khoury, is very knowledgeable about cross-
contact issues and is willing to go the extra mile for us. In case
Diana is not there when you dine, their chefs are also very
knowledgeable about cooking gluten-free. (I would also alert the
waiter/waitress as an added precaution, though). Her e-mail address
is [log in to unmask] if you want to ask her any questions (hope
the e-mail address comes through - if not you can e-mail me). Their
hours are only 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and both restaurants are open
until 3:00 p.m. on Sundays.

Here are the locations:

2306 Almaden Road, Building 150
San Jose, CA 95125
(408) 979-0251

1366 S. DeAnza Boulevard
San Jose, CA 95129
(408) 255-7373

The usual disclaimer - eating out is risky.

Sue

*******
*******