From:
Greta C. de Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 21:56:57 -0400

Thank you to all who responded to my message a few weeks ago as to how
long to keep a person on a gf diet to determine if there were mental
changes.

First of all, I wish to apologize for my terse comments about races.   I
was just trying to make a point that not all mental disorders are due to
Celiac disease.   It probably comes from my work with NAMI in that many
people do not believe there are mental disorders-just misbehaviours.

I was surprised that there are a few African-Americans being diagnosed
as well as others with dark skin.  I find that interesting.

Many responded about improving their mental capabilities after being on
a gluten free diet.   Most did not know when it occurred.  One noticed
after a few years.   One noticed after 8 years of being diagnosed.

One person responded that her 18 year old son improved dramatically.
He had sever depression and extreme mood changes  with stomach pain.
He was on dilatin and/or prozac from age 5-13.   His symptoms returned
on gluten.   Some of his friends teased him that he was cured by God.
However, no time line of the changes was given.

A mother of an autistic child in our group stated both she and her
mother noticed changes in two weeks when going on the gf and casein free
diet.   She advised that others did not.    According to their website,
the autism foundation recommends a three month trial.

One stated for her husband was a few days but I am not sure what his
symptoms were.

One person thought it may be due to contamination.   Another suggested
vitamins.

I  noticed a change in my husband within a month. (Remember that is me,
his wife speaking.  He himself realized that it must be the diet about
3-4 months later.)   He was much more tolerant to be around and lost
some of the feeling he was going to die tomorrow.   However, I must tell
you he was in sad shape.   His doctor called him the walking dead man.
My family also thought he was going to die before the year was out and
thought his cancer had returned.   They couldn't believe the change 6
months later.

I am sad to report that things developed more quickly than we had hoped
and we had to hospitalize my daughter.  The good news is that she is
responding to the medication at this time.   I do not ever expect her to
be well but as she herself said, "I feel like I can handle life at
least."

Again, I apologize for my terse comments.  One person wrote such a kind
note  I will always remember when reading this list.

"Many times people in ill health are desperate to find a reason/cure.
They will grasp at straws looking for relief.  People who do find releif
are excited to share their experiences in hope it will help others."

May that be the experience of all of us.