From:
Julie Hix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 01:03:15 EST

   I was overwhelmed by the number of responses to my question about the gf
status of Jello Puddings!  Thank you to all who responded.  I talked to Kraft
about their puddings (young man named Juan) and was told that they cannot
state that ANY of their puddings are gf.  This includes instant, cook and
serve, and ready to eat varieties.  These puddings are made in a non-gluten
free environment and they feel that they are contaminated.  All of their
gelatin products are gf, however.

   Many of the respondents said that Royal brand is gf and the 1-800-NABISCO
number was cited.

   A number of people stated that the Kozy Shack brand (all varieties) is gf
and delicious.  In the spirit of true testing, the rice pudding was
purchased........wonderful!  It would seem that once again we have a
difference between the US and Canada in manufacturing.  One person said that
Jello Pudding in their area (Quebec) is gf.  I suspect that the country of
manufacture should be checked on the packaging.

   Kroeger brand, found in the US, but not the West Coast, makes a gf pudding
mix.

   My fat cells will expand with one recipe I received.  Into partially set
Jello beat softened vanilla ice cream using a hand mixer and then chill.  It
is said to be creamy and smooth and not separate when chilled.

   The recipe for pudding on the Argo cornstarch box is said to be very good.
I did not test this yet.

   Thank you again for all the positive responses and suggestions.

Julie Hix
Kent, Washington