From:
Sandra Lutz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:07:13 -0700

Thanks to all that responded to my question about a good cracker to replace
my favorite Saltine in my soup.  It seems that there isn't anything
available at this time that is equivalent to a Saltine, but there are some
that are O.K.  I haven't tried all that were suggested, but of the ones I
have tried so far, the Ener-g brand cracker does seem the best for what I
wanted.  They do taste a little like a Ritz cracker.  My Mom really likes
them.  I thought they were good in my tomato soup.

The overwhelming favorite is Ener-g brand crackers.

-------

Nut Thins, made by Blue Diamond

-------

Bi-Aglut cracker...they are like a Ritz cracker.  I think you can get them
through dietary specialties or Ms. Robens.

Bi-Aglut Fette Crackertoast crackers.  These are very light and airy,
have a slight buttery taste.

-------

The recipe comes from the GF Pantry Companion
cookbook.

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

-------

Crackers by Glutino

-------

 The cracker that I found closest to saltines was a Wasa brand corn
cracker.  It is not available at the moment at my food coop.  The
company says it is revamping the gf cracker and it should be available
soon.  (That was about 3 months ago).

-------

Schaer or Schar do have very good crackers.  Also, Betty Hagman has some
recipes.

-------

We make a cracker using Hagman's "mock hi-ho" recipe from her forth
book, subing sorghum flour in place of rice.  Dips good, but might melt
too fast in soup.

-------

GF Wasa bread

-------

tortilla chips (I like these with chili)
baked Tostitos
Frito Scoops

-------

Trader Joe's has a house brand of crackers, Savory Thins , that come in a
variety of flavors ... BUT only the "ORIGINAL" Flavor are GF ... for rice
crackers, well, they are the best we have found.  Also, there are these
wonderful things called "Salad EatOs" .. Wildoats carries them in some
locals, however here I have to order them by the case and thus am limited to
one flavor... I get Garlic Parmesan ... have tried the Dried Tomato/Basil
also ... they are corn tortilla strips all crisp, flavored and GF.  They are
great on salad and in soup.

-------

Holgrain rice crackers

-------

Did you ever try a low carg, gluten free parmesan tuile?

Take a non-stick skillet, heat slowly and then sprinkle parmesan cheese
in the pan, covering the bottom.  Let cook slowly until lightly browned.
Remove from pan with tongs.  These are very "in"

-------

Puppodoms.  They are a Hindu Indian cracker.

-------

KAME - rice crackers usually found in stores

-------

croutons (like they do in onion soup)? Just toast up some
cubed GF bread