From:
Mary Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 20:57:29 -0700

A recent post mentioned "real kefir" and I must also agree it has been very
helpful.

I've been gluten free for four years now, and some 'side issues' such as
sensitivity to corn and casein persisted in a serious manner. I have been
making the "real kefir" for almost two months and it has greatly helped my
son and me. I no longer seem to be reacting to corn, and I can use cow
cheese or milk much more often now. It is a great help to have more normal
choices. I am still careful with both, but things have greatly improved
since taking the kefir.

My son (age 13) has been GF for 4 years also. He was dreadfully thin before
diagnosis, but he never really filled out  much even after going GF.
However, at least you couldn't "count his ribs" anymore.  Since taking the
kefir, heis face finally looks stronger and fuller, as do his back and arms.
He is thirteen, and is still thin - but now he seems simply "lean"  - and
his non-celiac father is also lean. He has been growing like a bean stalk
since taking the kefir; it seems like he is actually absorbing milk now, and
his body is using it.

It makes me wonder if this real kefir might be an important "healer" for
many celiacs since the recent Stanford study came out saying that 50% of
treated celiacs seem to continue to have trouble absorbing some major
nutrients - even after being gluten free. I think this was definitely the
case with my son, because he seemed more prone to colds etc. The kefir may
also be helping with that, but it is too early to tell. (see
www.celiac.com )

I have also heard that many celiacs greatly benefit from making kefir from
raw milk - when they can get it. I found this out on a raw milk web site.
Many of the testimonials seemed to be from celiacs, even though it wasn't a
celiac site, per se. Many celiacs need these things to help with digestion
and general health.

Sincerely, and gratefully,

Mary Kretzmann
California

PS - To learn more about REAL kefir & find a source of live kefir grains
search the web for "Dom's kefir website". Dom's site is like a free kefir
school online!