From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:37:39 -0500

No one on the list really had any info to offer....many confused the
virtual with the old fashioned variety and mri tests.

I got in touch with IMAGING FOR LIFE, which has 2 offices in the NYC
area.  Got the following info:

...the results from a virtual colonoscopy are the same as from the old
fashioned [that it, it can detect celiac and abnormalities in the colon]
.  Patients fast for just six hours before the test, take barrium and
then are tested..which takes 20 min.

...this partiuclar co does not bill a medial insurerer...but does fill
out the forms so you submit them.  YOu'd have to check to find out what
is allowed.

...a full body scan runs $1450 and a colonoscopy is $995.

One person on this website wrote to me that drs aren't in favor of this
procedure.....I think because they have yet to invest in these labs.  I
have had several instances where drs have sent me to labs they own  and
have been charged way above the norm....One other thing...this was on
the Oprah show...she is very careful about what she says and
advocates...remember she was sued by Texas beef industry som e time ago
for libel [she won].  So, I don't think she is going to place herself in
an untenable situation.

btwi, I have noticed that On WCBS 880 radio, there have been a number of
ads for this new procedure by various labs.

Ann