From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2016 15:24:10 -0500

I am really upset. I usually use Pamela’s or King Arthurs, but today I tried to make my hamantashen with Bob’s 1:1 flour, which includes xanthan. Well, one batch, I salvaged, because I added vanilla to the recipe, which gave it a tad more liquid. But the other batch was so dry and crumbly, it was awful. I had to throw out $$$ dough, jelly, chocolate chips, nuts, etc. Not to mention, I work and took my one day off to bake. The ones that survived came out glumpy and unprofessional looking.

I’ve been baking hamantashen for over 50 years, more than 20 of those years, gluten-free.  I am really upset and will NEVER use his flour mix again.

From now on, I’ll add my own xanthan gum.

I use sorghum flour as part of my own baking. I’m used to the flavor. But his dough has a sour taste to it that renders these remaining cookies unsuitable for me to ship to my kids or use for the book club I have Sunday or take to work.

I made two double batches. I have professional size pans and two ovens. I usually take a day and bake for hours, so I can ship everything out at one time.

Yuck. I have never complained about a gluten-free flour mix before, and I intend to write to him. It’s a no-fail recipe that I’ve used many times for different shapes, They never taste sour. (the date is fine!), and they never fell apart like this.

So mad.
*******
*******