From:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:33:14 -0800

Hey all
I'm nervous about fiddling with a recipe.  So i beg
your understanding.  I know there are a lot of cooks
out there, i'm just not really a cook, i follow recipes
and get reasonable results....that's not cooking, i'm
told <grin>

Here's what i have to do.
I have a recipe for a low sugar pumpkin pie.  This is
good.  It calls for evaporated skim milk.  This is a
problem.

I'm making the pie both for myself and stepmother who
are on diets, but also for my father, who is allergic
to milk.

I have the following options:
Almond Milk;
DariFree powdered milk replacer which i may or may not
be able to add less water to and come up withs omething
a bit...evaporated like...;
unsweetened silk

Can anyone recommend a course of action as to how to
replace evaporated milk with non-evaporated milk?
Alternately a good measurement of water to add to the
powder that will give me the equivalent of evaporated
milk?

Also, are any of the fatfree or lowfat cool whip type
products gluten AND Milk free?  Would they work better
in the pie than milk replacers?

Thanks for your advice

--
Miki Tracey

He's a shy gay sorceror on the run. She's a tortured
junkie mermaid living on borrowed time. They fight
crime!
http://www.rain-
street.org/fightcrime.htm - Try Again