From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:33:25 -0700

Dear List Mates,

With a new King Arthur Flour Bakers Catalogue comes two new breads
slightly inspired by their recipe - I like the concept but not their
recipe which seemed fairly strange. But I'm sure their loyal readers
will love it.

Oats are highly controversial, and people have sent me high
temperature email messages in this regard, but  I'd rather not receive
these. I'm not an oat advocate for anyone other than myself. My GE
suggested that I try oats, and that turned out to be successful for
me. I follow the brand recommendations of the Celiac Disease Center at
Columbia University; however, now there are now a number of certified
gluten free oat brands for those that are concerned about McCann's or
Country Choice.

Not every one with CD can consume oats. It is a very individual thing.
For that reason, I also experimented with a bread formulation based on
quinoa flakes. Yes, I know that not everybody likes quinoa. Quinoa can
be tamed, but that is a further subject. The quinoa loaf comes out
really nice as does the oat loaf. The two breads are very different in
taste and texture although the formulation is extremely similar.

You can view both loaves our website - http://tinyurl.com/2vdggw  (or
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/ ) and look for <NEW> in
red letters. There is a single web page for both of the bread
formulations.

If you do decide to bake these, you can certainly use your own
creativity - honey, brown sugar, raisins. The oat bread has a nice
warm flavor, and the quinoa bread would go really well with a good
Emmentaler or domestic Swiss. You could even mix cheese with the bread
dough, but you can't eliminate all the shortening and use cheese
instead. Both breads use sweet rice flour which is much easier to find
than Expandex. Expandex has gotten expensive and difficult to find,
and in some ways I think I get better texture from the sweet rice
flour. I've been able to cut back on the xanthan and guar gums, and
that has improved the overall quality.

In case you ask, I now have a freezer full of bread. Right now I am
making it faster than it is being consumed.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Vic-Sunnyvale, Ca