From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:01:14 -0800
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

http://thyroid.about.com/b/a/125712.htm?nl=1

Found this interesting little piece on Mary Shomon's website.  I'm a thyroid
patient & have gotten some VERY GOOD advise from this website & Mary
Shomon's book on hypothyroidism.  ~Valerie in Tacoma

Gluten Intolerance/Celiac Disease? Check Your Thyroid Drug Ingredients!

November 13, 2004
Gluten Intolerance/Celiac Disease? Check Your Thyroid Drug Ingredients!
"I purchased two of your books on hypothyroidism because I felt my thyroid
treatment wasn't working as it had in the past. Your books prompted me to
take the medicine more effectively and thus I got some relief. Based on your
advice, I got a blood test and asked to switch from Unithroid to
Synthroid--and felt even better but not great. An article on the connection
between hypothyroidism and celiac disease prompted me to look up information
on celiac disease. I had so many of the symptoms! I went on a gluten-free
diet and the improvement is unbelievable in just one week. (I know it sounds
like a commercial, but it is truly a miracle for me.)

Celiac.com's list of forbidden substances mentions checking on the
ingredients in prescription medicines. Turns out one of the ingredients in
Unithroid is ultimately wheat-based--which is why I started deteriorating
after switching from Levothroid to Unithroid. Synthroid is gluten-free.
Also, I will likely have to adjust my dose with time as my recovering system
is better able to absorb the medicine. Thought you might be able to help
others with this information.

Thanks so much for how you helped me.

Jeane G."