From:
Cliff Kothcka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 09:32:18 -0600

>I am having trouble with butter and some milk products but seemingly not
>yogurt.
>Does this make any sense? Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Alec Maines

Alec,

The amount of lactose in yogurt is much less than the that found in an
equivalent measure of most other dairy products.  The process  by which
yogurt is formed *predigests* the lactose, breaking it down into simpler
sugars.

As you probably know, most people afflicted with CD have problems digesting
milk products because the enzyme (lactase) needed  to break down lactose is
produced in the brush border area of the villi.  This area is one of the
first areas damaged at the onset of symptoms.  Even after the condition
improves by close adhearance to a GF diet, many individuals are still unable
to tolerate milk because the brush border does not always regenerate.
Further, since the villi also produce other enzymes in this area,  the
digestion of other nutrients might be affected as well.

I speak from first hand experience on this one.  While I can tolerate
moderate amounts (6-8 oz) of yogurt on a daily basis, a glass of milk would
spoil my day.

Alec, you might be more sensitive than some.

Best wishes to all during the Holidays.

--

Cliff Kotchka
Riverside, Illinois