From:
"Susan K. DeVries" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 14:35:57 -0500

Thanks to all who told about their flour experience.  Here is some info:

**Some use juicers and coffee grinders.  Results are o.k., but not the
best choice if you plan to make lots of flour.  Some people mentioned that
large amounts make the coffee grinders over-heat.

***One person said you can learn much from this web page:

  http://waltonfeed.com/grinder.html

They included the ad from CSA's Lifelines. Note that this type of grinder
can't handle oily things like most nuts.

The Magic Mill III Plus that the Celiac Sprue Association/USA is selling
is $220 US model, $310 Canadian model, $316 overseas model, plus shipping
& tax. For questions, you can reach them at 402-558-0600 or fax at
402-558-1347.

It can be ordered from CSA/USA P.O.Box 31700 Omaha,NE68131

This is what the ad says:

With Micro Milling heads, the Magic Mill operates by a high speed impact
principle rather than by grinding. When a grain or bean enters the milling
chamber. stainless stell teeth collide with it, and instantly reduce the
product to a fine flour.

The Magic Mill III Plus Home Flour Mill is the fastest on the market and
produces over one pound of fresh, low temperature professional grade flour
per minute. The mill is light weight, easy to store, yet built to last.
Look at these outstanding design and construction features:

- The milling texture dial has six fineness settings.
- A professional grade stainless steal pan - completely dishwasher safe
  and - The milling texture dial has six fineness settings.
- Automatic pan locks for the stainless stell pan.
- Stainless steel Micro Milling heads that are self cleaning.
- Large six cup capacity hopper.
- Protective shield prevents grain kickback.
- On/off switch is recessed for additional safety.
- Five year warranty on the machine.
- Made in the U.S.
- UL approved
- Lifetime warranty in milling heads
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Excellent for rice, corn, popcorn, tapioca, beans, peas, lentils, and
  dry nuts with low oils.

I was told this mill works well.

***Two different mixers have attachments.  the Kitchen Aid and the Kenwood
Chef mixer (sold under the name Rival in the United States).  One person
said that it is sometimes necessary to run their flour through twice.
Another person sifts it to get the grainy pieces out.  Several people
satisfied with this method.

***Bosch's store sells a good grain mill.

***A vitamixer works well for rice

***It is also possible to buy grinders from various catalogs - One that
I've seen quite a few in is, believe it or not, Kansas wind power - they
sell all kinds of alternative energy stuff.

Thanks for all your input. I hope this helps someone else.  I decided
since I already have a heavy duty mixer, I would go for the magic mill.
I'll let you know in a few months what I think.

Susan