From:
Kim Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:13:42 EST

I recently posted:

> In the archives, it says DH looks like clusters of blisters.  Do these
> look like different sized mozzie bites?  i.e. red lumps?  and do they
> usually appear on both sides of the body in the same spot?

I would like to thank everyone for their helpful replies.  Many provided
links to sites with information and images (not for the weak stomach).
Please note that all of this information comes from members experiences,
not doctors.  All advised to get a biopsy done by a dermatologist.

One person said that her DH began looking like ringworm, then formed
into blisters. Others also said that at first it looked red and raised,
like a bug bite, but with a small blister (hard to see)in the centre of
the bumps.  These then become clear (liquid filled) or red blisters.

Dermatitis herpeformitis shows itself after gluten ingestion in Celiacs.
Also after ingestion of iodized salt and sea salt.

Most people said that the best way to be sure is to have a blister
biopsied  by a dermatologist who has experience with DH. One that can
distinguish between eczema and DH.

For the internet sites:
Look at figure 8 in this article on Celiac Disease.
   http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html
For images of severe cases see:
   http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/index.shtml#DH

(I received a wealth of useful information from one post, and if anyone
is interested I will forward it to you.)
Try looking at the following article, which talks about both DH and CD and
has a fair number of pictures:
   http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html

This web page has some unpleasant but clear pictures:
   http://www.gretmar.com/webdoctor/dermatitis.html

Note that while DH can mirror itself on your body, it does not always
happen that way.

Tends to occur on elbows, knees, buttocks, low back, back of the
head/neck and shoulders.

Everyone commented on the extreme itchiness of DH, and said it's unlike
anything else, and is often followed by a burning sensation.
One list member wrote that her story and more information about DH
should be available in the October issue of "Sully's living without".

From another member:
Atopic dermatitis is a rash that will appear on each side of the
body and is an allergic type rash I believe. So is hives. It may help to
have an allergy test at the same time. One post said that if they
disappear in a few minutes or hours, they are more likely to be an
allergic reaction.

You can be diagnosed with DH by having your doctor do a biopsy
(generally it is better from the elbow and the biopsy should be just to
the side of the lesion).  The test is called an immunofluorescence test.
If positive, then you have DH and Celiac.  (It was also mentioned that
this biopsy is painless.)

Members also mentioned that a GF diet will stop the itching, but
medication (E.g, Dapsone) may take months to heal the scabs.

Hope this helps someone, it helped me.
Kim,
Sydney, Australia.