From:
Valerie Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 14:56:29 -0400

Hi Everyone,

My mom’s red blood cell count has been decreasing these past few months and the doctor thinks it may be from celiac. The doctor has prescribed Procrit (a series of injections my mom would administer herself) to boost her low red blood cell count. If her count were even lower, evidently sometimes blood transfusions are done.

Please let me k now if you’ve had experience with Procrit, and/or blood transfusions. What are the benefits and drawbacks, including side effects you experienced? Were they effective in increasing the red blood cell count? How often did you do them? How long did you rely on these methods or do you still do them regularly for maintenance?

Does anyone know of any gluten-free natural or other alternatives to Procrit and blood transfusions for increasing red blood cell counts, whether from food or supplements or something else?

Mom is in her seventies and is also diabetic.

Thanks for your help.

Valerie