From:
neng tsz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2008 23:31:32 +0000

This is a very long delayed summary but I just returned to Taiwan.    Since my stay was limited to the Manila area the resources are for that area.

Free Living has frozen Gluten Free, Casein Free Foods.   This was difficult for me to get to put worth the trouble--the rolls were wonderful!    Located in Manila in the club house of the area called  Corinthian Gardens.   Phone # 631-3005.  Call before hand so that the store can notify the guards at the entrance to the community.

There are Healthy Options stores in a lot of the malls in the Manila area which have a wide variety of gluten free items: cookies, mixes, cereals, chocolate, crackers, baking powder, snack bars, flours.   The website is : www.healthyoptions.com.ph         The Shangri-La Plaza, EDSA has the largest selection that I found but then I only visited 2 stores.    This store is wonderful and answered emails quickly and with information  of locations and stores closest to my location.

Had no problem with the food at the retreat center.   Sandwiches and cakes were served for snacks which I avoided.   I provided my own snacks from Healthy Options and ate the fruit which was supplied daily.  After a few days the retreat center then offered me local rice snacks which  were quite delicious.   I only ate out twice while there and had no problem with food.   I ordered breakfast once without the toast and the lunch meal I had rice and fish and vegies without sauce.  Some  sauces include wheat. If you order bibingka please ask if wheat flour is included.   Traditionally this was made with only rice flour but now days wheat is included in some of them.    This is a wonderful dessert made with rice, coconut and chunks of cheese (also found some plain,)  Also, ate puto which are rice balls served with fresh coconut.

Pancit Canton is made with wheat noodles.   Pancit Bihon is made with rice noodles.

Will be returning again in two weeks to stay outside the Manila area.  If I find anything different will post on return.

*******
*******