From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:06:26 -0800
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Oh my!  My in box is FULL to bursting with enthusiastic reponses.  All
positive & supportive, thank goodness.  After posting my little
philosophical whining "opinion piece" I was little worried that I may have
offended some.  But thankfully, all seem to have taken my post for what it
was meant to be, a little humorous sketch on human nature rather than a
judgemental SLAM on anyone's eating habits.  I received many affirmative

-----------
I enjoyed your post....my daughter, 18 and recently dx'd, is studying
nutrition in college and just realized that you can't simply remove the
gluten to be healthy.......you have to maintain a healthy diet and be
vigilant to be a healthy celiac. --Kathy
-----------
Hilarious!
--Karen B.
-----------
You Go Girl!  I believe this is an important message to get out there!

Those of us with autoimmune problems, malabsorption issues, etc... should
strive to eat as healthy as possible.  It drives me crazy that people search
high and low for gf tater tots, gf mac&cheese, gf white bread (none of which
have any fiber, vitamins, healthy fats, minerals....).

I, myself, tend to fall back on gf crackers and Envirokidz bars for my
afternoon snack and have been considering switching to a brown/wild rice mix
(pre-made) or a handful of almonds or an apple instead.  And I worry about
insoluble fiber... like in wheat bran.  I need to try to incorporate rice
bran or maybe flax seeds into my diet somehow....

Anyway, thanks for the reminder to us all to BE HEALTHY not just GF!  --Pam
in Illinois
--------------
How true, the same goes for me. Sometimes I fall off the "wagon" but when I
get back on it again, life is much better. --Mary Rosser Furr
-------------------
This is so true, Valerie!  Our family is doing so much better than so many
of the GF folks around us who eat all the GF sweets and treats.  We really
stick to the whole, organic foods and we're all getting healthier and
stronger.  Thanks for summing it up! --Deborah in OKC
--------------------
You are SO RIGHT!!! The same happened to me: I would eat, and eat, and EAT,
and I put on 20 lbs that I havenīt been able to shed ever since... So Iīm
back to lunching with one apple and a yoghurt... Hope it works. --M Greaves
---------------
I found out very early that I feel best if I avoid the GF processed foods
that are made for celiacs. I eat whole foods and my junk foods are things
like popcorn and occasional potato chips. I usually snack on fruits and
veges.  --Anne
------------------
This is soooo true.  I thought once I was gf everything would be better.
Instead I got worse and worse, developing more and more food allergies.  I
read that some people had to rotate foods and do this and that, but I
thought no not me!  Needless to say I ended up sicker!  Am finally on the
path to wellness though with whole foods, rotating foods and watching the
junk.  Thanks for the smile --Londa, Michigan
-------------------
or to help us through this, shouldn't it be "wine, wine, wine"???  ha.
--Jan
-----------------
So true!  After I started having to spend money on GF food, however, I felt
pretty stupid with a Mountain Dew or other indiscretion in my hand.   Now I
use the organic cage free eggs, and buy more organic veggies, and better
meats, cold pressed olive oil, and just skip the bad GF stuff unless I need
to serve it for social reasons.  It helps save $$ too.  --Olive
-----------------
Thanks for the creative story. Good for you Valerie.  I am a Celiac since
1997 and am also a dietitian. I have other health problems to, but I fight
the good fight every day. Gluten free is not always healthy. I am amazed at
the junk food being sold in health food stores. We all need to take
responsibility for our own health.  --Gloria
hahahahaha    well sweetie, not only do you have to exercise self restrait -
but your whole body to boot!    an apple a day...

*Please provide references to back up claims of a product being GF or not
GF*