From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:07:17 -0600

Our Cheesecake Factory has a list of the foods that are GF which the waiters carry on a sheet of paper in their order books.  You have to ask for it, but they know what it is.  I wrote to the corporate praising this one location.  Maybe if more of us wrote, they would do that in more location.  The manager at this one took it upon his own because he said they had so many requests.  Most CPK's we can only eat the salad.

There's a PF Changs (chinese) in Woodland Hills CA that has a gf menu.  Also, we had great experience with Newport Rib Company in nearby Costa Mesa http://www.ribcompany.com  --they have a GF menu.

There is a PF Changs in Woodland Hills.  They have a GF menu.

Also, there is a place called www.YourDinnerSecret.com  that has been advertised (have never tried it, but is suppoesd to be good) in Woodland Hills that has organic GF and CF frozen, ready-to-cook entrees, sides and baked goods.

When I was in Colorado last year the California Pizza Kitchen had a nice GF menu, very much to my surprise.  I have heard the Cheesecake factory has added a gf cheesecake, but I don't know if it is in all areas of the country.

Cheesecake Factory (according to their listing in a g/f book says "all of our foods contain wheat and gluten". CPK says the same. I have attempted Cheesecake Factory several times and usually end up with dry fish. California Pizza Kitchen concerns me since the bulk of their foods are pasta and pizza.

Maggianos is wonderful. I'd call in advance since it is the holiday time but when you tell the server, they will send the chef out to your table where he/she will go over options. It is a rice pasta and they will guide you through sauces.

My all time favorite gluten free in that area is Flemmings steakhouse. It is pricer, but delicious. They have a gluten free menu that also has dairy free, shellfish free, low carb menus inside as well in case you need to cross reference them.

There is a PF Changs, again with a gf menu at the hostess station.

There is Pomodoro on Victory Blvd but I read a recent post that one of the franchises had pulled their gluten free pasta. I am not sure if they are the same.

If you go shopping, Nordstroms has a cafe on the third floor where the chef made a suggestion of a salad for me. I can't recall which one but it was filled with great things (not just plain lettuce and tomatoes).

Since i don't know if you are familiar with either market in your area:  In West Hills (our towns are just miles apart) there is a Trader Joes market that will have many food options for you. It is in the shopping center on the corner of Fallbrook and Vanowen. There is a Chillis restaurant in that center that has a GF menu (ask the manager).

Whole Foods market is in  Woodland Hills. They will also have gf options for you.

I've never eaten at these restaurants in CA, but in other states I have.  Maggiano's in particular, I've eaten at in two different states.  They have GF pasta.  You have to talk to the chef because they don't have a GF menu, but they will definitely do GF for you, even pasta.  The Cheesecake Factory does have a Godiva cheesecake that is GF.  I did have it one time, it is very rich.  My choice for cheesecake wouldn't be a chocolate one so it wasn't my favorite, but it's nice that there is an option.  I only ate a salad there for lunch and then had the cheesecake, so I didn't pursue asking for a GF meal there.  Hope you have a great time and good success eating at these restaurants!

Well, this won't be all that helpful, but I have eaten successfully at our Fresno Cheesecake Factory. I just used good sense in looking through the menu and spoke to the waiter. I believe the chicken with wine sauce (fancier name) was NOT OK.

Response from Maggiano’s  Thank you for your email and for your interest in Maggiano’s menu items. At this time we are unable to provide a listing of our menu items that contain ingredients excluded from a gluten-free diet.
Please advise your server of your dietary restrictions and ask to speak directly with a chef. Our chef will be happy to visit your table and then suggest and prepare a meal that will meet your dietary requirements.
Again, thank you for your interest in Maggiano’s.

Response from The Cheese Factory:
Thank you for your interest in The Cheesecake Factory.  Our goal is to provide our guests the best information possible.

Although we prepare dishes that we do not add wheat, oats, rye or barley, our concern is that some sub-ingredients may contain trace amounts of gluten.  In addition, we do not have separate cooking equipment to prepare flour and no-flour based items.

We understand that sensitivities can vary. Our managers will be happy to help you select dishes that we do not add wheat, oats, rye or barley however, because your health is our primary concern, we recommend non-marinated vegetables, chicken, steak, shrimp or fish pan cooked as opposed to grilled.  For other dietary concerns, consider the following:

? Any Salad can be modified and you can get Oil and Vinegar on the salad
? Any Fresh Fish
? Any Steak (Pure Protein)- with no Potatoes, no Steak Butter or Onion Strings!
We appreciate you thinking of The Cheesecake Factory and hope that you will be able to join us for a wonderful meal.
Sincerely,  Whitney Dunn   Guest Services Coordinator