From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:31:31 -0500

Reading the most recent edition (3rd) of "Don't Go to the Cosmetic
Counter Without Me" by Paula Begoun, I saw that she comments on the
presence of wheat starch in L'Oreal's Vissuelle Pressed Powder. She
notes that it could cause an allergic reaction.

Especially those who have strong skin reactions may want to watch out
for this one.

Ms. Begoun doesn't comment specifically on celiac disease or DH, but
she is very aware of special problems with cosmetic ingredients in
general, and now has a web site where concerned consumers can email
her with questions. I haven't tried this yet, but probably will. The
site's address is:
   www.cosmeticscop.com

I can recommend her books highly,  as they are most informative about
the hazards in some cosmetics, and give at least partial lists of many
ingredients with some explanation of what they are and what they do
(or don't do). Thanks to her first edition (which I lent out and
never got back!) I was alerted to the possibility I might have
rosacea, after nearly 20 years of symptoms. The dermatologist took
one look at me and agreed, and I now am in treatment for a year, and
doing much better.

I have no commercial or personal interest in Ms.Begoun or her books
except for reading them.

I am fascinated by the recent discussion of a possible relationship
between rosacea and celiac d. and am watching future postings on this
with great interest.

Bobbi in Baltimore