From:
Marilyn Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:39:27 -0800

Thanks for all the help with my query about whether Synthroid is Gf. The
general concensus seems to be yes, it is, with one person dubious. But
no bad problems reported. On the other hand, people report that it does
contain lactose. Additionally, a few pointed to something else useful:
Synthroid and the generic substitute are not equivalent, dose for dose,
and switching them isn't necessarily a simple matter. See the summary
below.
Marilyn

SUMMARY
My daughter has been on Synthroid since she was toddler (she is 7 now)
and we have not had any problems with it.  She gets bad stomach pains,
when she eats gluten.  I would think she would show signs by now if it
contained gluten.

***
I am celiac (biopsy confirmed).  I take synthroid with no issues.  I do
not absorb levothroid well.

***
I take Synthroid.  I have never had a gluten reaction.  I called before
I took my first pill and was told that Synthroid is gluten free.  Since
I have not had any type of reaction, I have not rechecked with the
manufacturer. Good luck with your decision.

***
I've been taking Synthroid for ten years with no problems, including the
two years since I've been gluten-free. I had checked with the
manufacturer and they said it's gluten-free. But more importantly, I'm
such a sensitive celiac that I'll get an immediate headache if anything
has a speck of gluten in it or even if it's cross-contaminated.
Synthroid is the only medication that doesn't bother me in the least. I
can only speak from my experience, but I hope this helps you. And, yes,
it is more expensive but I actually pay the difference to get Synthroid
rather than the generic.

***
A few months ago when I changed dosage of thyroid meds the pharmacist
gave me Levothyroxine which was labeled generic for Synthroid.  I got
terribly ill.  So when I went to my doctor I asked him to mark my
prescription no generics because I thought it was the Levothyroxine that
was causing the problem.  When I discussed this with the pharmacist he
said if the Levothyroxine caused a reaction the Synthroid surely would
as Levothyroxine was the closest thing to the Synthroid.  So he ordered
Levoxyl for me again, and I have not had any problems since.  Maybe they
can specially order Levoxyl or something, because synthroid and that
particular generic was not for me. By the way, the label on the Levoxyl
did not specified generic for Synthroid..  Strange isn't it.... Good
luck.

***
Been taking synthroid for years- no problems.

***
I take Synthroid and have for 5+ years.  I have been GF for 1.5 years,
have not noticed a problem, but I don't have the GI symptoms, so I might
not
know.  I am looking forward to your summary.

***
I've been taking Synthroid for years, and I've never had a reaction.  On
the other hand, I have had a reaction to a generic substitute, so I
never use those.  As they say, your mileage may vary, but I've been safe
so far.

***
Hi! I have taken Synthroid for 6 years. I have been diagnosed with
celiac for 5 years. I have several food allergies on top of the gluten
intolerance and have had no ill effects with Synthroid. The pharmist was
going to have me a use a genetric brand and I would not switch since
some genetric brands contain gluten. This is my experiences. Others may
have different reactions or opinions.

***
I have been using the name brand Synthroid for 8 years.  It is GF but
has lactose in it.  I recently switched to the generic Levothyroxine
which is GF and Lactose Free.

***
My daughter has been taking synthroid for over a year (from Abbott Labs)
with no problems.  It is gluten free.

***
Whether or not it is gluten free, and I believe it is, is not the issue.
You cannot just substitute one dose of levoxyl for one dose of the same
amount of synthroid. You need to be re-evaluated by your doctor. They
are not exact substitutes.

***
Synthroid does contacin lactose. Many celiacs are lactose intolerant &
that could be part of the problem.  One of my good friends had problem
w/ that small amount of lactose & eventually took lactase enzymes w/ it
with limited success.

***
I take Synthroid without any problem,and I'm extremely
gluten sensitive.

***
I was on the levoxyl and then my doctor gave me samples of the
Synthroid. Well, they did not agree with me at all. I started have
stomach problems and just not feeling well at all. I couldn't figure it
out. I was going to start calling drug companies because I am on a bunch
of medications and see if they had made any changes when I remembered
about the synthroid. I also had called the pharmacy and they said if you
are doing well on one thyroid medication you really shouldn't change it.
I went back to the levoxyl and I was fine again. So it was the Synthroid
I WILL NOT take it again it did not agree with me. My Dad was celiac but
he is dead four years now so the drug could have changed by now and he
took Synthroid without a problem. I told my doctor and she said I didn't
think that was going to cause you any problem but don't take it again.
Stick with the levoxyl.

***
I've been taking Synthroid for almost a decade.  It used to be owned by
Boots Flint.  Sometime within the last year, the pills I got changed
consistency.  They are less of a compacted powder, and more of a
plasticized, less dense pill.  You can even see the difference if you
lay a pill from the old mfg. on the table next to the new one.  I'm sure
they still meet the filed description, but are definitely NOT the same
as before.  The company was sold to another drug company (Abbott)
sometime in the last two years and I suspect that they are now
manufacturing using a different plant/suppliers.  I also question the
current GF quality, despite many, many previous years with no problems.

Ever since last summer, I've been experiencing what appears to be low
level gluten ingestion symptoms consisitent with a medication.  I've
eliminated all supplements and medications except the Synthroid as of
early this week.  If the symptoms do not improve, I'm going to have to
request a different prescription for thyroid hormone to see if the
symptoms (including DH rash) disappear.  I will know more in about
another week, two at the most.  The ONLY daily medication I am currently
taking is Synthroid.

Please post your responses, as I am curious if any others have started
experiencing problems this last year.

***