From:
Colby Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 14:25:15 -0700

I have broken down this summary into two parts - ideas & recipes.  I received
many wonderful responses (no surprise here - this is a great group!)  to my
request for help feeding my family since my daughter has decided to become a
vegetarian.  Anyway, here are the wonderful ideas I received:

For protein:
Tofu
Beans, bean flour, legumes
Nuts & nut butters
unflavored gelatin
soy based protein powder
cheese (she can eat dairy)
eggs (she is not a vegan)
GF pasta (Pastariso recommended as best)

Protein seems to be a "touchy" subject.  Most Vegetarians told me that we get
plenty of protein in our foods without meat.  A few people disagreed with this.
I did some research for myself and I don't think that my daughter will have any
problems getting enough protein.  Apparently the "typical" American diet is
overflowing with protein.  She is a little sensitive to protein if she isn't
getting enough, so I have emphasized to her that she does need to be aware of
this.

Supplements were mentioned a few times - especially iron, calcium & vitamin A.
I am looking into either making sure she gets enough of these in her diet or
through supplements.

Here are some suggested web sites:
www.veg.org/veg/
www.drmcdougal.com
www.vegetariantimes.com
www.greatearth.com

Cookbooks recommended:
any Oriental cookbooks
Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites
Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
Your Guide to the Best Food on Earth
Vegetarian Cooking for Healthy Living
Everyday Cooking with Dean Ornish
Cooking with Tofu
Diet for a Small Planet
any of Dr. McDougall's books
Vegetarian Times magazine
Fit For Life

A couple of people suggested that I let my daughter be responsible for learning
about Vegetarianism and also to learn to cook for herself so that I didn't have
to do all the work.  I knew these people were parents!!  I have encouraged her
to do this, but because I have become interested in vegetarianism myself and
also organic foods, I need to know how to do everything too.

A few people seemed worried that I wasn't being supportive of my daughter.
Quite the opposite is true.  I am the one who suggested she become a vegetarian
because of her concern for animals and her dislike of meat.  I believe that I am
also moving in the direction of becoming a vegetarian.  My reasons are health
more than politics.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great suggestions and support.  As always you
have helped me tremendously.  I wouldn't have the positive attitude about my
health that I have without this group.

Colby Ray
Bellevue, WA