Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:09:43 -0400

Hello listmembers,
        Sorry for the delay in summarizing my responses to my recent query
regarding a source for dried egg whites and experiences/recipes for pasta
machines. I received several posts for dried egg white sources; if anyone is
interested in having these, please post me personally. I accidently found the
egg whites here in Ontario last week and so I won't have to order them after
all!
        I received only a couple of responses about pasta machine recipes and
as the first turned out so well, I haven't ventured further. This recipe was
kindly sent to me and is Bob Gabriel's modification of Bette Hagman's recipe in
"More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet". The basic flour mix is: 1/2 cup tapioca
flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 3 tbl. potato starch, 1/2 tsp. salt, 4+1/2 tsp.
xanthan gum and 1/2 tsp. knox gelatin. Mix separately: 1+ 1/2 tsp. veg. oil and
2 eggs. As the machine mixes, add liquid slowly (about 3 minutes). Adjust dough
with a tsp. of water at a time ( I added 2 tsp water). Let mix for several more
minutes. Soak die in hot water while dough is mixing; dough should look like
small pieces of walnuts before you begin extruding. Good luck and enjoy!

Joanne in Ontario