From:
Gina Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:33:06 -0700

Hi Everyone,

   Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for help with eating
GF in Kodiak, Alaska.  I only received 4 responses to my E-mail mostly
from others who are also interested and planning to visit there also.  I
found out that a friend I work with has been to Alaska.  When I
mentioned my dilemma to her, she told me how when she went to Alaska,
lots of people were bringing along large coolers wrapped in duct tape
and checking them in as luggage.  The idea is that you bring the cooler
over empty so you can bring back your fresh fish in it.   I've
decided to fill my cooler with GF food packed in dry ice for the way
over and after I've eaten my food while I'm there, I'll have plenty of
room in my cooler for all of the fish I will catch to bring back home!

   I've had too many vacations ruined because I've had to spend my time
in a hotel room sick from trying to eat out at restaurants.  I will take
the time and trouble to shop, pack, plan meals & cook while there as a
trade off for a higher quality, enjoyable time while on vacation.

Here is a summary of my replies:

1)  I visited Kodiak but can't give you too many recommendations- the
restaurant offerings were very limited.   There's a great little tea room
downtown which tried hard to accommodate me.   Of course, fresh fish is
in good supply.  But it's a very interesting place to visit.   Enjoy!

2) Please post the info that you get from this.  I want to go to
Anchorage and am afraid to get that far from home unless I know there is
someplace that I can eat or buy foodstuffs that I can prepare myself at
my hotel.  It is such an inconvenience to have to take in my own foods
that I often just stay home instead of doing so.

3)  We lived in Alaska for 4 years prior to coming here to Virginia in
1996.  You should take your food with you.  Hopefully you will have a
health food store there that might have something, but do not count on
it.

We lived in Anchorage.  It was the smallest big city we have ever lived
in.  Anchorage was 250,000 people spread over a very large area so it
seemed small.  They had just gotten a Wal-mart and a K-mart a few months
before we left.  The health food stores there carried very little that I
could eat.  We loved it in Alaska, but it is not easy for a Celiac
there.  You are extremely lucky you will have a kitchen.  You will need
it.

4)  Can you please summarize if you get information, I am going to
Kodiak in October as part of my honeymoon!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  See you there!  Take
Care.

Gina in San Diego