From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 09:41:46 EDT

On 16 Jul 1995, Don Wiss forwarded the following (excerpted here) from Jack
Challem, Editor of The Nutrition Reporter (TM) newsletter:

>Michael, I'm sure you'll hear a lot of opinions. But I'll point to you to a
>specific journal citation that confirmed what people have been saying for
>years. The fundamental cause of ear infections is allergy, which causes fluid
>retention in the ear, which creates a great breeding ground for bacteria. The
>most common allergens for small children are milk and wheat.

>Nsouli TM, "Role of food allergy in serous otitis media," Annals of Allergy,
>September 1994;73:215-219.
I showed this to Dr. Kalle Reichelt, who had the following to say (quoted with
his permission):
This is quite intersting because the IgA antibodies formed in the gut are
transported to all mucous membranes in the body and may react with
appropriate antigens. because intact antigens are taken up into the blood
postprandially (1) and we have also demonstrated increased levels of IgA
antibodies to gluten,gliadin and casein in some autistic patients (2,3); I
can easily see a possible connection, where all mucosal membranes are
irritated by the circulating antigen reacting with deposited IgA
antibodies.