From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 18:31:51 +0000

On April 19th, I did a post on possible gluten in Haagan Dazs chocolate
sorbet bars due to a reaction with an isolated case of diarrhea.  The
similarity with the Nestle (Haagan-Dazs) customer rep. and the Gerber
customer rep. (BELOW) was that both referred to a "source" of
possible/suspected gluten in their products.  The Nestle (Haagan-Dazs)
customer rep. told me that the "natural vanilla" in their chocolate sorbet
bars was extracted with a "grain" alcohol.  The Gerber representative told
me that the following (SEE BELOW) product contained modified tapioca starch
and that it was modified with vinegar but she didn't know if it was grain
vinegar.  My response to her was that I didn't know that modified starches
were ever modified with vinegar.  Each time, the manager for Nestle (Haagan
Dazs) or the following response from Gerber both came back denying what the
customer representative stated to me.  Also, in the Nestle (Haagan-Dazs)
case, the manager did not know what the alcohol used in their "vanilla
extract" not the "natural vanilla" was derived from because she claimed that
possibly the customer rep. had confused the distinction between the two
ingredients.  This manager told me that she would escalate the issue to find
out the source of the alcohol;  Upon a follow-up call with Nestle
(Haagan-Dazs), another customer rep. stated that in regards to the vanilla
in their products, the information I requested is not available because it
is proprietary to the flavor vendor.  She contended that the company
discloses any of the top 8 allergens as required by law and she told me a
letter in reference to this oral response was sent out on 5/9/03.  She could
not explain where the original customer representative obtained the
information that one of their vanilla ingredients was extracted with an
alcohol derived from a grain source.
It is troubling to know as we all experience the inconsistencies in company
or which one to believe and when?
Laura Y.