From:
Liz Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:01:59 +0100

Dear fellow listmembers,

I will be going on a holiday to Egypt from 5th to 20th. October and I would
be grateful for any advice anyone can supply about how to survive GF there.

We will be travelling independently, staying in hotels and eating out in
restaurants.  We haven't worked out an exact itinerary yet but we will
definitely be starting in Cairo and also visiting Luxor.  Other
possibilities are Aswan and the Red Sea.

I have searched the archives and no support is listed for Egypt.  I did find
a general summary from 2000 and a list of websites which have Arabic
restaurant cards from 2001, but I'd be happier if I could get more current
and more detailed info.

For example:
1)what GF foods would be appropriate to bring with me to complement what I
will be offered in restaurants (?GF bread/pasta etc.)
2) how to put together a restaurant card suitable for Egypt (preferably
tried and tested)
3) locations of specific coeliac-friendly accomodation / restaurants or ones
to avoid.
4) the names of foods / dishes which are more likely to be GF (please note
I'm also vegetarian)
5) how to recognise dishes that I should definitely avoid on menus
6) what words to look for on labels (both ingredients to avoid and words
which indicate that a product is GF) eg. when buying snacks etc.
7) availability or otherwise of specific GF products.

All info will be very much appreciated and I will summarise on my return.

Best GF wishes,

Liz Ward, Dublin, Ireland