Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:28:16 EDT

My question was:  "Have other Celiacs experienced  the development of
additional food intolerances (not allergies) such as dairy  and soy and if so, is
there some kind of test for it other than just elimination  of the
potential source?"  I received 43 responses (some very similar)  so I will try to
summarize below.  I must admit many had more  questions than answers but here
goes:

1.  "I believe I was told that once the intestines healed, you can  become
intolerant to other allergens.  I have resorted to eliminating a lot  of
sweets from my diet which helps."

2.  "I believe the best way to detect new intolerances is through a  food
diary."

3.  Four people mentioned the possibility of Esosinophilic
Gastrointestional Disease and said that a GI doc. should be able to help  determine if this
is the case.  One person included the following web site  for more
information on this condition:  _http://www.apfed.org/_ (http://www.apfed.org/)  and
click on about  EGID.

4.  "I think that it's not uncommon to find additional food  intolerances
or allergies, considering that the whole system is hypersensitive  in a
Celiac.  Have you read Karina's Kitchen online?  Her  experience is similar to
yours, in that she has discovered many foods that she  used to consume and no
longer can.  I recommend you check out her site as a  source of information,
links, and support."

5.  Another person suggested keeping a food diary and said that "the  GI
doc. will not be able to do anything for you."

6.  "There is some type of food allergy panel that is performed on  common
food allergens via a blood test."

7.  "Unfortunately many of my club members have multiple allergen
reactions.  Intolerances by definition are difficult to test; the immune  system
does not produce IgE.  It quite often takes much longer for  complaints to come
on, thereby masking the possible link between the offensive  substance and
the complaints themselves.  A useful test is the IgG(4)  antibody test.
Here the presence of IgG(4) antibodies is determined.   The reliability of this
test varies between 80 and 90%."

8.  "I think it's because we increase the amount of less common foods  we
consume when we eliminate gluten.  Foods that hadn't caused a problem  when
consumed in comparatively small doses cause problems when consumed in  higher
amounts on a daily basis."  (This makes sense to  me.)

9.  "My husband has gotten the most help from a Homeopathic Doctor who  had
mouth swabs and blood tests done for him.  Also, the blood for the food
sensitivity test was analyzed by ALCAT Worldwide, Cell Science Systems, Ltd,
852  South Military Trail, Deerfield Beach, FL  33442, USA.  1-800-US ALCAT
(872-5228) or http://_www.ALCAT_ (http://www.ALCAT) .com  "

10.  "I would surmise that many food intolerance problems are  becoming so
much more common because our food is so processed and has so many
ingredients.  Also, I think gut flora has something to do with food  intolerances."

11.  "I have eliminated all sugars except honey from my diet and the  rash
and cramps are gone."

12.  "You usually can tell if you react to a food as an allergy  because
you will have immediate reaction, but if it is gluten induced, it takes  at
least four hours to react."

13.  "A Naturopathic Doctor visited our celiac group and spoke about a
blood test that she learned how to perform in the US that could identify other
food intolerances.  It's called The Carroll Food Intolerance  Analysis.
You can read about it on various sites on the Internet to get  the background
of this test.  It's a finger prick blood test."

14.  "I manage my own diet.  My GI doc. who has since moved out  of the
area tested me for a small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO).   I took 3
courses of antibiotics and then megadoses of probiotics for  months.  After
that I was able to eat more foods than I had before."

15.  "My whole family had a similar experience which turned out to be  due
to an enzyme imbalance.  The underlying condition is from bacterial
overgrowth in the small intestine.  I eventually had an endoscopy to  diagnose it
and had to take antibiotics to get rid of the infection in its acute  phase."
 (This person recommends the book "The Specific  Carbohydrate Diet" and
this person takes Enzymes (Pancreatin - OTC) from the  Vitamin Shoppe with
every meal.)

16.  "Do you take L-Glutamine to help heal your gut?  How about  digestive
enzymes?  A lot of people find benefit from probiotics."   (I will look into
 L-Glutamine)

17.  "A lot of food sensitivities stem from low adrenal function,  which
most likely is at the root of my problems, intertwined with the gluten
problem.  Low cortisol causes a lot of allergies or sensitivities,  including to
food.  The allergist was no help to me, but with my DH so went  to see an
antiaging naturopathic doctor and he ran a food allergy ELISA Test on  first
visit."

18. "I rarely eat the alternative flours anymore and certainly not two days
 in a row.  I try to vary my food...eat mainly vegetables, fruits, chicken,
 etc. similar to a "rotation" diet and feel this helps to prevent
additional  intolerances to any one food."  (Rotation of food makes sense to  me.)

19.  "Maybe the allergist can't help you because you are dealing with
intolerances rather than allergies.  These are tough to discern, and I
certainly have them, along with Celiac Disease.  I live in Canada and there  is a
test (expensive) for intolerances at this link:
http://www.food-intolerance.ca/get-tested/en/."

20.  "I am not formally diagnosed as you are.  I went to a  nutritionist
who ordered tests from:  _http://www.enterolab.com/_
(http://www.enterolab.com/) .   I  had the best value testing done is a genetic testing for celiac
plus gluten and  casein intolerance.  I knew I had a dairy reaction even
before  testing."

21.  "Hope this helps.....gluten, casein, soy, corn, eggs, peanuts
(legumes - some beans have the same casein as milk) and sometimes fish.   These are
the most common foods people are intolerant to....all high  protein."
(Suggested keeping a food log)

22.  "I was wheat light for 15 years and now GF for 5 years.  i  thought I
had a wheat allergy for 15 years.  I am 62 and in amazing health  and on no
medications.  You can check out this site for good advice on  vitamins, etc.
 _http://glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/index.php_
(http://glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/index.php) ."

23.  "We had similar experiences and have found that ELISA Testing  helped
a great deal in identifying the other food antigens.  You can order  the
test through Vitamin Research Products on line:
_http://www.vrp.com/ProductPage.aspx?ProdID=9840_ (http://www.vrp.com/ProductPage.aspx?ProdID=9840) ."

24.  "If you can find a good chiropractor or other holistic physician  who
uses Applied Kinesiology - it saved me a lot of pain and suffering and got
me off anti-inflammatory meds.  If I had just tried eliminating foods by
trial and error, I don't know if I would have ever identified corn and it's as
 hard to avoid as gluten and soy."

25.  "Since getting a tetanus?diphtheria shot a decade ago and having  a
reaction to it, I have been having problems with increasing food
intolerances.  I call it allergies but most of my problems are IgA and G  problems.
Since I was having to eliminate so many foods from my diet, I  had to search
out remedies, not avoidance.  (some remedies  suggested are:  HCI anddigestive
enzymes, Dr. Hulda  Clark's zapper, Dr. Hulda Clark's liver flush protocol,
deep abdominal  breathing, B-12/folic acid weekly shots, and limited
Magnesium shots)

Many thanks to all of the people who responded to my complicated  question.
 I hope this summary will help out.  I, myself, will  try the "rotation
diet" first along with L-Glutamine.  Jane in  MD

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823265x1201398681/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
eExcfooterNO62)