From:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:32:50 -0600

Here are more replies that I received to my inquiry. Thanks to Everyone!

I, too, have dry eyes, dry skin, dry mouth.  As I
have to pay for almost all of my medical expenses
(lousy insurance), I cannot see the point of
taking a gazillion tests to try and determine if
I have Sjogrens. when there is no cure.  But I
have two brothers and a mother with CD, and this
is a problem plaguing all of us as well.

By the way, I didn't see you mention it, but I
buy gels OTC for "severe" dry eyes.  I put them
in my eyes at night, before I go to bed (as they
tend to blur up my vision).  They are, without
doubt, the most effective therapy for me.  I just
wish I could use them during the day!
  I'm afraid Sjogren's and Celiac Disease are two separate conditions in
that the gluten-free diet doesn't affect Sjogren's and vice versa.  They are
connected in that people with the lucky genes for CD are often predisposed
Sjogren's, an autoimmune disorder.  I have both and will tell you the number
one
priority in Sjogren's is getting a good dentist to take care of your mouth.
The lack of saliva is what is creating the dental caries and scrupulous
brushing and flossing after every meal and regular professional cleanings is
a must.
There are medications that increase the saliva flow, saline nose spray and
humibid, a pill taken to keep moisture in the lungs (dry winter heating and
airplane and hotel air are terrible for us.  If there's a bug, we'll get it
because dry lungs are like petri dishes for viruses) and preservative free
artificial tears to soothe the red, gritty feeling dry eye causes.
Placquinil, an
anti-malarial, is effective is preventing lymphocytic infiltration, which is
rare,
but possible. The gluten-free diet is crucial, only in that cheating might
in
some unknown way exacerbate other autoimmune conditions.
Bottom line:  once you get a diagnosis of Sjogren's (a good rheumatologist
will work you up) get your cavities under control (use only alcohol free
mouth
wash as alcohol is drying, ditto for wine as well), figure out ways to
soothe
your eyes and nose (Sjogren's causes photo-sensitivity, so remember to wear
sun block and sun glasses out there), and sip water often, it's not so bad
at
all.  Just don't move to the desert or take a sauna and you'll be fine.  I
put
on moisturizer before I am completely dry from the shower and that
reallyhelps.  It is truly annoying, but not life-threatening.

I have a friend in our support group with Sjogerns. I'm sorry to tell you
she has not improved with that on the gluten free diet. Her celiac is in
control though. Her dentist is also the one who diagnosed it. We had her
dentist once come and talk to our support group.
I had a similar problem.  Until Celiac hit, I had had very few cavities.
During the estimated 12 months that I was an undiagnosed celiac, I became
severely anemic (hemoglobin = 6).  A side effect of severe anemia is
constant thirst and "dry mouth".  The lack of sufficient saliva, combined
with calcium depletion from malabsorption,  resulted in 9 of my teeth
requiring restoration (including 3 crowns).  That was worse news than the
gf-diet (which was a whole different ballgame in the mid-80's, believe me)!

Once I had fully recovered (blood counts & bone density back to normal
range), my rate of tooth decay seems to be normal as well.