From:
DC Health <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:10:39 -0500

Hi
I've been on the list for several months.

My history: Most of my almost 50 yrs, I've been overwt. My uncle had been
'offically' dx with CD back in the late 60's. He told his brother [my dad]
and sister about going GF; and they did so w/out being checked by a doc. But
none of us 4 kids went off the wheat then. I loved my big thick sandwiches;
comfort food which I needed growing up... :)

I married and had 1 child/son [now 23]. In Dec of 80, I went casein/dairy
free. I started to gradually lose the wt; but I still wore 16/18 clothes. I
guess I went GF by 82 or 83; but didn't lose much more wt.

Long story short: I went to college in the early 90's, separated from my
husband, divorced while still in college. Because of the 6 yrs of stress of
college, divorce and other problems, I did lose more wt. When I graduated
June of 98, I was at a good wt for my height of 5 ft 6 in: 138. During the
following yr, I quit making rice floured biscuits [I'd eat, & eat, & eat...
:))], for whole grain, mainly buckwheat. That's when I started to lose the
wt gradually; because the buckwheat was contaminated with wheat dust. I lost
15 + lbs; now I'm considered to be underwt. I'm in menopause so my bones are
at risk because I haven't eaten any 'good' dairy sources of calcium for 20
yrs. When I eat contaminated millet or buckwheat I lose; I've been as low as
111 lbs when I tried 2 meals/day of whole grains! Weird!!

Thanks from Deb in Spokane