From:
Claire Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Claire Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:26:57 -0500

Regarding my post about my itchy neck rash, I got 31 responses from currrently or previously itchy people, which tells me at least 2 things: 1) there are a lot of itchy celiacs out there, and b) there are some very helpful itchy (or previously itchy) celiacs out there. Thanks for all the thoughtful responses!

Here's a summary. The suggestions broke down into three sorts of catagories:

I. External environment: Something I wore, shampoo I used, new detergent, something like that. I did use a neck pillow on a plane trip that might have been the original culprit and I just keep re-irritating my neck.

II. Something I ate not related to gluten: perhaps a sensitivity to soy, corn, sugar, dairy. My guess would be soy -- I ate edamame before my last two airplane trips when this happened, and a big dinner of broccoli, yellow peppers and tofu the day before my current flare-up.

III. Some sort of gluten contamination that caused DH, or celiac-related malabsorption of B vitamins, causing a scary looking condition called pellagra. In either of these cases, I need to make sure I'm not dealing with a gluten contamination issue.

Here are some remedies and suggestions for dealing with it:

^Use pure aloe on top of hydrocortisone to treat the rash (done)
^Shampoo with Head & Shoulders (done) or use athlete's foot ointment on the rash
^Switch to hypoallergenic shampoos, lotions, etc. (before or after I finish a regimen with Head & Shoulders?)
^Try Sarna cream
^Keep irritants off my neck as much as possible until it completely clears up
^Try to isolate a dietary cause (I'm thinking soy, so I will not have any more until the rash is completely gone, then will monitor when I reintroduce it)
^Eat buckwheat for B vitamins (had it for breakfast) and nutritional yeast
^Take flaxseed oil (ate flaxseed at breakfast with my buckwheat, will have to get some oil)
^Go to a dermatologist, though LOTS of people who responded got nothing useful from their dermatologists and stumbled across a cure on their own.

Thanks all.

Claire Baker

My website: http://so-what-can-you-eat.weebly.com

*******