From:
Anne Washburn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Washburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:32:26 -0400

I wrote to the list several months ago when my daughter started
taking Synthroid after a right thyroid lobectomy. We were wondering
about the gluten status of this medication since the manufacturer
refuses to state anything about it, either way.

My daughter is taking Tirosint now. She started with Synthroid and
couldn't tolerate it. I suspect it was the lactose. She then tried
generic levothyroxin and could not tolerate that, either. I suspect
it was the mannitol in that. Her symptoms were almost immediately
(within 10 minutes) extreme cramping, stomach pain, usually
accompanied with diarrhea, and she started to develop food issues,
afraid to eat and afraid not to. She is a college student and works
and was starting to not want to leave her house. That ain't good! Her
life was revolving around taking the medication and its aftermath. It
was much worse pain than being glutened constantly.

I took her to an internist who mentioned that there were several
other choices and that is how I found Tirosint. No fillers, no dyes,
no unnecessary junk that the other products have. It is a simple gel
pill with only thyroid medicine. I am convinced that Synthroid is
gluten free bc an antibody blood test came up negative but the
lactose is a ridiculous additive. So is mannitol, for that matter! My
daughter is doing fine on Tirosint, absolutely none of the issues
associated with the other products and her TSH is exactly where her
doctor wants it. It does cost more and is a special order every month
but it's worth it.

Hope this helps someone else!
Anne Washburn