From:
Noel-Marie Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:16:27 -0500

Wow, lot of replies on this one! Thank you everyone...

About 95% of the replies stated that their reactions happen
between 30 minutes and 12 hours of ingesting gluten, most at
about 2 to 4 hours. Reactions included diarrhrea, headaches,
dizzyness, bloating, and gassiness.

Two people mentioned having spoken to doctors or other experts,
who stated that reactions can occur up to a week later.

Several stated that their reactions can occur up to several days
later [as many as five].

One mentioned that she noticed that she and her family are having
reactions far later on than they used to [ie, it's taking longer to
react].

Several people wondered if it was either a stomach bug or food
poisoning. I thought of those as well, but we're all following the
same pattern: diarrhrea and cramping for about 6 hours, then
gassiness for a couple days, but bowel movements back to
normal. And we all started within an hour of each other.

I found another possible offender that I hadn't thought of, if it was a
gluten intake. Or at least, I found a food we hadn't eaten -- we
opened a new container of popcorn [unpopped unflavored kernals]
bought from a different company. I suppose that *could* be a
culprit, if this was a reaction, as timing-wise, it would have fit into
the 1 to 12 hour window better.

Noel-Marie
Mt Airy, MD