From:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:01:16 -0800

Thank you so much for all your replies!  In the end, my
sis-in-law wanted to go to either Gramercy Tavern or Union
Square Cafe.  We now have reservations to go to Asia de
Cuba - it's too busy this time of year (at least for me)
to make the calls to these places.  I myself eat lunch a
lot from Ruby Foo's delivery at work- the chicken and
lettuce wraps and the chicken-pineapple or vegetable fried
rice is alright (but request gluten free).  I also get
lunch occassionally at the Hampton Chutney Co. on the Upper
West Side (80-something St. on Amsterdam)<but there is also
one downtown on Prince>.
   Some people recommended checking:
        http://celiacnet.com/newyork.html
celiacchicks
Delphi
http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/ - these restaurants were highly recommended
www.silly-yak.com/
These restaurants were specifically recommended:

Lentini
Rice
Lever House –“I ate there a few months ago they were amazingly accomodating and the food was fantastic.”
Sardi's – “accommodated my daughter and it was a wonderful
dinner with minor substitutions.”
21 – “upscale” – call ahead
Cafe des Artistes - “upscale” – call ahead
Artisanal Fromagerie & Bistro
JOSIE'S RESTAURANT & JUICE BAR
O'Lunney's Times Square Pub
Black Duck Restaurant on 28th St.- “Chef Hector Tice, and
restaurant manager Diana Vouvoudakis took tons of time with
me to understand and adapt items on their menu to suite our
gluten free diet--heartily recommend them”
Brazil Grill
Gobo
Guastavinos – “Although they didn't have a GF turkey they
had other great food that worked out terrific.”
North Square
Pure Food and Wine – ” Upscale raw vegan menu.  The entire
menu is NOT GF. For instance, one dish has a non-GF soy
sauce in it.”
The Delta Grill – “I generally ordered their blackened
foods - and they brought out the seasoning mix containers
so I could inspect the list of ingredients."
Otto – “Small plates of things that are fine for the g-f diet”

"When I have to eat out for business or with friends I find
that most fine restaurants if you call in advance you can
talk with the chef, who is usually pretty accomodating.  I
also eat regularly at steakhouses
(Del Frisco's) and
Red Eye Grill (fish restaurant) with success."

Thanks again!  I really appreciate the help!  I kope this posts
alright 'cauz I've been having problems with it!