From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:03:36 -0600

Hi Everyone,

I just thought that I would share this Jamba Juice warning with
everyone.

On a recent trip to California, we visited a Jamba Juice store near
Monterey.  My daughter-in-law had had an in depth conversation with the
manager of the store about the GF status of their smoothies.  She
explained the situation in detail, so I am pretty sure that he
understood.  He contacted their home office and verified that the
smoothies were GF.  He said that there was nothing in them except fruit
and explained that they clean the mixers between uses, etc.   So, we
decided to give a smoothie a try.  Within one hour, my husband was very
ill.  He spent the next two days with a gluten reaction.

I was pretty upset and got the 800 number for their San Francisco
office.  It took me a couple of days to get through to the right person,
but I was finally able to talk with someone who knew exactly what the
ingredients were.  We tracked the problem down to the fact that they did
not use fresh bananas in their juices.  The bananas that they used were
picked and processed in the country where they were grown.  We assumed
that the culprit was the citric acid that would have been sprinkled on
the bananas during processing.

I don't know if they have changed their smoothie ingredients and now use
fresh bananas or not, but thought I would share this info with you.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to you all,

Barbara in Illinois