From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 19:11:16 -0500

On 27 March 1996, Jack Alexander <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I can help with some botanical info on Annatto.
>Annatto is a food colorant that comes from a tropical American tree,
[snipped...]

So then, the question we have to pose to each food manufacturer: is their
annatto solely from this tree, or does it have other ingredients that fall
into the loophole of not having to list ingredients of ingredients?

In the past it has been claimed that annatto color could have caramel color
as an ingredient, and caramel color's standard of identity has many gluten
alternatives allowed for its raw ingredient. Also the NOMSG group has had
anecdotal reports from their members that some annatto includes some protein
that has been hydrolyzed.

Don Wiss.